Francis Ford Coppola Accused Of Trying To Kiss Extras On 'Megalopolis' Set

The director was accused by several unnamed sources of having an "old-school" approach toward women on the set of his upcoming movie, "Megalopolis."
LOADINGERROR LOADING

Francis Ford Coppola is being accused by multiple unnamed sources of having questionable behavior toward women on the set of his upcoming science fiction epic “Megalopolis,” according to a report published Tuesday by The Guardian.

Several sources claimed Coppola took an “old-school” approach to women on set and pulled some of them onto his lap. The 85-year-old also allegedly “tried to kiss some of the topless and scantily clad female extras” to “get them in the mood” for a nightclub scene.

Co-producer Darren Demetre, who has worked with Coppola since 1992, responded to the allegations in a statement to The Guardian.

“There were two days when we shot a celebratory Studio 54-esque club scene where Francis walked around the set to establish the spirit of the scene by giving kind hugs and kisses on the cheek to the cast and background players,” he told the outlet.

“It was his way to help inspire and establish the club atmosphere, which was so important to the film,” Demetre continued. “I was never aware of any complaints of harassment or ill behavior during the course of the project.”

Representatives for Coppola did not immediately respond to HuffPost’s request for comment.

The allegations follow reports of a near-mutiny on set halfway through the film’s four-month shoot, which began in November 2022. The following month, most of the visual effects and arts teams were fired or quit, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

In The Guardian’s report, several crew members detailed Coppola’s alleged unpreparedness on set.

“He would often show up in the mornings before these big sequences and because no plan had been put in place, and because he wouldn’t allow his collaborators to put a plan in place, he would often just sit in his trailer for hours on end,” one member told the outlet.

The person also claimed Coppola “wouldn’t talk to anybody,” “was often smoking marijuana” and wasted “hours and hours” without “anything being filmed.” Another member even told The Guardian that they wondered if Coppola had ever “made a movie before.”

Coppola directing "Megalopolis" actors Chloe Fineman and Nathalie Emmanuel in 2022. The film, which Coppola has reportedly tried to make since the '80s, will premiere at this year's Cannes Film Feestival.
Coppola directing "Megalopolis" actors Chloe Fineman and Nathalie Emmanuel in 2022. The film, which Coppola has reportedly tried to make since the '80s, will premiere at this year's Cannes Film Feestival.
MEGA/GC/Getty Images

Coppola addressed the murmurs around filming for “Megalopolis” last year, telling Deadline, “These reports never say who these sources are.”

“To them, I say, ’Ha ha, just wait and see. Because this is a beautiful film and primarily so because the cast is great,” he added.

Adam Driver, who leads “Megalopolis,” also spoke with Deadline and defended the film, saying, “I’ve been on sets that were chaotic and this one is far from it.”

Coppola has reportedly tried to make “Megalopolis” since the ’80s and sold part of his winery to finance the $120 million production.

“Megalopolis” stars Driver as an architect rebuilding New York City into a post-disaster utopia while under the watchful eye of a corrupt mayor. The film also stars Giancarlo Esposito, Aubrey Plaza, Shia LaBeouf and others.

The film premieres on May 17 at the Cannes Film Festival.

Popular in the Community

Close

What's Hot